Your DNA

In nearly every cell, DNA is a biomolecule carrying the blueprint for how you are built. Your DNA is 99.9 percent identical to every other person’s; the remaining 0.1 percent is what makes you unique.

DNA & You

You are made up of cells. Cells know what to do because of the DNA, your body’s instruction book, inside each cell. Humans have 23 chromosome pairs – one of each pair contains genetic information from your biological mother, the other from your biological father.

The instructions within sections of the DNA – called genes – build, maintain and regulate your body’s functions. The differences that each of us have in the structure of our genes are called variation, or mutations. This variation makes each of us unique.

Thousands of genes are organized and packaged into units called chromosomes.

Genetic Testing: An Overview

Should I get genetic testing for my health? On the surface, the answer to that question ma

Predispositions

Variations occur in our genes. Most don’t affect health, but some increase disease risk.

What are genes?

Genes are instructions guiding development through building your body’s proteins.

Family History

Visit with your family to understand your historic health history.

Family History

A complete family history is a powerful tool. It can help identify if you are at increased risk for certain conditions. By using the information from a family history, genetic professionals can determine if some health concerns are more likely to be due to genetic factors or random incidents. This information also allows our physicians and genetic counselors to deliver better, individualized care. Knowing your family history can help identify risks to you and to future generations.